PILA is recruiting a Legal Officer (Maternity Cover)! Join our Team!
16 May 2023
FLAC is seeking a dynamic individual to play a key role in operating PILA’s Pro Bono Referral Scheme and raising awareness on public interest law issues.
Pro Bono Referral Scheme:
- Work closely with new and existing NGOs, community groups and independent law centres to develop membership and identify unmet legal need.
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with the legal profession to support provision of pro bono legal assistance.
- Deliver high quality pro bono referrals from start to finish, including scoping and structuring pro bono requests, placing referrals with the right legal expertise and providing on-going support.
- Identify and pursue strategic litigation opportunities that advance law in the public interest.
- Support the development and implementation of Impact Projects with partner law firms.
- Identify and facilitate new and existing Law Reform Working Groups.
- Plan and organise Legal Education Sessions for partner NGOs.
Barriers to Public Interest Litigation:
- Actively participate in raising awareness and seeking address of barriers to public interest litigation.
- Conduct research and assist in the formulation of policy on barriers to public interest litigation.
- Develop materials and resources on barriers to public interest litigation.
Events and communications
- Design and host seminars, roundtables and events targeting key themes for NGOs, lawyers and law students.
- Assist with the preparation and editing of the fortnightly PILA Bulletin.
The successful candidate will have:
- A degree in law or a related field.
- Experience as a solicitor or barrister is desirable.
- Relevant work experience, preferably in a legal or NGO environment.
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic and a passion for social justice.
- Proven ability to form and maintain diverse strategic relationships.
- Excellent people skills, including organising and networking.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including research and writing.
- Strong knowledge of access to justice issues, public interest law and human rights.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Closing dates for receipt of applications is 6th June 2023. A CV and covering letter should be sent to email@example.com. FLAC is an equal opportunities employer.
FLAC, the Free Legal Advice Centres, is a human rights organisation which exists to promote equal access to justice for all.
In 2009, FLAC established the Public Interest Law Alliance (PILA) as a public interest law network that seeks to engage the legal community and civil society in using the law to advance social change. PILA is a project of FLAC.
- operates a Pro Bono Referral Scheme which matches expertise in the legal profession with specific legal needs in social justice NGOs, community groups and law centres;
- increases the capacity of organisations to use law in the public interest through legal education, law reform and litigation;
- promotes a culture of structured pro bono legal work which provides lawyers with opportunities to use their legal skills in the public interest;
- raises awareness about the barriers to public interest litigation and works to remove them;
- reaches out to law schools and law students to ensure that public interest law and clinical legal education become central components of the curriculum; and
- uses its website, fortnightly PILA bulletin and events to raise awareness about public interest law in Ireland and internationally.
For more information see www.flac.ie and www.pila.ie.