PILA is recruiting a Pro Bono Development Officer! Join our Team!
16 May 2023
Title: FLAC/PILA Pro Bono Development Officer
Reports to FLAC Chief Executive / Fulltime
FLAC is a human rights organisation which exists to promote equal access to justice. FLAC’s vision is of a society where everyone can access fair and accountable mechanisms to vindicate their rights.
FLAC Services to the Public
FLAC provides a range of services to the public including a Telephone Information and Referral Line where callers are provided with basic legal information and FLAC Clinics in Citizens Information Centres throughout the country where volunteer lawyers provide basic legal advice. In 2019 FLAC assisted 26,995 individuals though its Information Line and Clinics.
In 2009, FLAC established the Public Interest Law Alliance (PILA) as a public interest law network that seeks to engage the legal community and civil society in using the law to advance social change. PILA is a project of FLAC.
- operates a Pro Bono Referral Scheme which matches expertise in the legal profession with specific legal needs in social justice NGOs, community groups and law centres;
- increases the capacity of organisations to use law in the public interest through legal education, law reform and litigation;
- promotes a culture of structured pro bono legal work which provides lawyers with opportunities to use their legal skills in the public interest;
- raises awareness about the barriers to public interest litigation and works to remove them;
- reaches out to law schools and law students to ensure that public interest law and clinical legal education become central components of the curriculum; and uses its website, fortnightly PILA bulletin and events to raise awareness about public interest law in Ireland and internationally;
- manages, facilitates and promotes the pro bono pledge
Overall responsibilities of the role
FLAC is seeking a dynamic individual to lead the development of FLAC’s pro bono work including the fostering of a culture of pro bono among the legal professions in Ireland, to build and maintain stakeholder relationships to ensure the sustainability and development of the PILA Alliance and the pro bono referral scheme, to facilitate manage and develop the pro bono pledge and to identify and advocate in relation to barriers to public interest law work in Ireland.
- Identifying and securing funding to secure the work of FLAC’s Public Interest Law work including the Pro-bono Referral Scheme into the future;
- Addressing the sustainability of the Alliance through working closely with the professional bodies, law firms, lawyers, clearing houses and other stakeholders;
- Building and developing a strong Alliance committed to using and further developing public interest law in Ireland;
- Explore and develop mechanisms to develop a referral scheme for individuals;
- Managing and developing the pro bono pledge;
- Identify strategic litigation for FLAC;
- Implementing the relevant objectives in FLAC’s strategic plans;
- Development of communications including PILA Bulletin and work with the FLAC communications team to promote FLAC’s pro bono work;
- Complying with FLAC’s Health and Safety Policies and Procedures;
- Any other duties as may be required from time to time in connection with this position.
The successful candidate will have:
- A degree in law or a related field.
- Experience as a solicitor or barrister is desirable.
- Knowledge of the legal professions and NGO sectors
- Relevant work experience, preferably in a legal or NGO environment.
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic and a passion for social justice.
- Experience and knowledge of pro bono work/clearing house models.
- Proven ability to form and maintain diverse strategic relationships and work in a collaboratve way
- Excellent people skills, including organising and networking.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including research and writing.
- Strong knowledge of access to justice issues, public interest law and human rights.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Closing dates for receipt of applications is 6th June 2023. A CV and covering letter should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. FLAC is an equal opportunities employer.