A&L Goodbody: Pro Bono Associate – deadline extended 13 April 2018
A&L Goodbody's pro bono programme is at the centre of its community involvement. It believes we make the most impact by using our skills, knowledge and training to deliver what is most needed in the community.
In 2016, A&L Goodbody delivered over 2,800 pro bono hours to various charity partners and not for profit organisations. It also works in partnership with domestic and international “clearing houses”, including the Public Interest Law Alliance, Business in the Community and Thomson Reuter Trustlaw Foundation. They match expertise with specific legal needs in non-governmental organisations, community organisations and law centres.
A&L Goodbody is seeking a Pro Bono Associate to join its team, preferably in a full time capacity however a part-time working arrangement may also be considered.
Specifically, the role will include:
- Identifying opportunities for pro bono in Ireland and NI, helping to implement them and winning work from key pro bono clients.
- Helping to support, coordinate and deliver existing pro bono projects.
- Assisting with administration of existing pro bono projects, including rota management and some supervisory casework.
- Undertaking a pro bono case load including assisting with, and supervising, legal research, litigation, advice and education.
- Aligning client pro bono requests with appropriate lawyers and escalating more complex requests.
- Screening opportunities offered through established brokers and escalating those with potential.
- Answering internal queries regarding pro bono activity, dealing with all initial interest and recruiting volunteers to appropriate projects and programmes.
- Assisting with monitoring and evaluation of pro bono projects.
- Organising and attending pro bono client and sector events.
- Maintaining good relationships with pro bono teams in other Irish and overseas law firms.
- Working closely with the Pro Bono Partner and Responsible Business Manager on existing and future projects.
- Reporting on progress of the pro bono programme to the firm’s partners and management team.
Skills and Attributes
- Minimum of 4 years PQE.
- Demonstrable ability to undertake excellent legal work.
- An understanding of the legal needs of people who are disadvantaged and organisations who assist them.
- Experience of working in a commercial law firm.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrable ability to work well in teams and also take the initiative and work independently.
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of refugee or housing law desirable.
If you are interested in the above role please email your CV with a covering note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close on Friday 13 April.