IRLI: Programme Lawyer – deadline 15 February
An exciting volunteer opportunity has arisen to work in the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions in Lilongwe, Malawi.
Irish Rule of Law International (IRLI) is a project -orientated, non-profit rule of law initiative established by the Law Society of Ireland and The Bar of Ireland. Since August 2011, IRLI has been working in Malawi to address capacity challenges within the criminal justice sector, with the overall aim of promoting the rule of law and improving access to justice for unrepresented and particularly vulnerable persons.
The Programme Lawyer (PL) will be seconded to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) in Malawi. The PL will work within the Ministry of Justice in the office of the DPP, working alongside Malawi State advocates.
Under the supervision of the Programme Manager, the PL will undertake the following tasks:
- Provide support to DPP paralegals and administration systems through capacity building.
- Support cooperation between the DPP Office and other criminal justice system
- actors (including the police, judiciary and LAB).
- Identify ways in which case management and filing systems can be strengthened.
- Provide support to the DPP as requested for the training needs of support staff.
- Undertake a review of historical homicide files to identify those cases that should be discontinued and those that should be prosecuted. This may include tracing witnesses and accused persons with the assistance of DPP paralegals and the Malawi Police Service.
- Review current homicide and sexual offences cases and write legal opinions
- to advise on the merits of the case and the appropriate next steps.
- Provide support to the Human Rights Section of the Ministry of Justice, as directed by the Chief State Advocate of the Human Rights Section.
- Assist the IRLI team in general in the organisation and implementation of general
- project activities where the need arises.
- Grant/proposal writing and report writing for IRLI activities within DPP.
- Budget management with regard to IRLI activities for which the PL is responsible.
- Maintain organisational results - based framework, develop workplans, undertake
- data collection and analysis for M&E purposes.
- Submission of regular progress and activity reports to the DPP as well as contributing to IRLI donor reports.
Click here for more information on the role.
The closing date for applications is Friday 15th February 2019.